Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A New Vision for Millennials and the Church, Part 2

Today I continue my look at a new vision for millennials and the church. Yesterday I concentrated on what I felt was the primary problems of the church in regards to its attractiveness to millennials (and others as well). I focused on more big picture missional failures as opposed to the specifics that seem to bog down the debate within Christianity and the media. Here is the link:


For today I will look at a more technical model of what I think can will be a good model for the church as we look to attract younger people, especially in lieu of the concerns that I brought up yesterday.

I want to start with a disclaimer. This model is far from the only model, and I am quite open to other ideas for models. I also don’t want to pretend that it will be an instantly successful, and I am certainly aware of other models that have seen great growth among millennials. I will also admit that this model takes into account my very specific biases of the church and what I believe it should stand for.

The first part is strong preaching. I have a lot of thoughts on preaching that I won’t dig into too deeply here, but I strongly believe that preaching is what sets the tone for the entire church body. I do not think that preaching is the be all end all of church, and I am skeptical that preaching allows for great depth in Biblical understanding, but I see it as establishing the foundation, providing the direction, and rallying the congregation. Preaching should be Biblically based (with some leeway for the occasional topical sermon), grounded in Christ crucified/resurrected, and the life that He offers all of us.

The second part is Biblical training/teaching. This can be achieved through a variety of means and will be unique to the individual setup of the church. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, this cannot be accomplished solely through the sermon. There must be intentional Bible study within the church. The two best ways are Sunday school or small groups. I am partial to Sunday school, but realize small groups is often the best for schedules of individuals.

The key is “Biblical”. These meetings should focus on scripture teaching and discussion rather than books or hang out sessions. There is certainly a place for those two things, but Biblical study can expose people to the fullness of scripture and prevent some of the cherry picking of verses or focus on things other than the Word. I personally have found great success in going through entire Gospels or Epistles or OT writings, forcing me to address tougher scripture that is not well known or talked about. Always for a fully understanding of God.

The third part is prayer. Always be praying. I will have more to say on prayer as I continue to write, but I am convinced that prayer time together is critical for any church community.

The fourth part is fellowship. There is value in combining this with Bible study, but it is even more effective when kept separate, but for intentional fellowship time and in making sure that Bible study time does not become more about fellowship than the study.

I focused more on how the church is failing in previous posts, but one thing that millennials (and all humans for that matter) are constantly looking for is fellowship and community. I would agree this can realized in many places, but I also think the church is uniquely positioned to provide this. And if the church does a good job of focusing on Christ and remaining open to all, the church can be a place of community with some of the best diversity, including political thought, income level, social standing, racial, etc. This is an opportunity for the church.

The fifth part is service/mission. I strongly believe that millennials have a sense of wanting to serve something greater than themselves, and I think that can connect quite nicely with the key aspect of the mission of the church. The old model was to send missionaries to developing nations to spread the Gospel. While this is still important, the nations are also coming here. And physical needs are everywhere. The church has the opportunity to serve in the neighborhood, in the community, in the region, and across the nation.

The sixth part is inter-generational mentoring. This is another value of the church, the ability to spend time with people of different generations to help you in your walk with the Lord, and in life in general. I believe that everyone should strive to have a mentor, a peer, and a mentee. I strongly believe that millennials, even if they won’t admit it, need mentors and guides through life. The church is full of people that provide this for whatever stage of life the individual is in.

The seventh (and final) part is worship. I think this is a reason that is often cited for millennials not being as interested in the church but I am skeptical of the impact. I am not sure the type of worship is as critical as the knowledge that there is some sort of God-honoring worship within the church. This can take many forms.

So this post was more of an overview than I thought. I was able to do a quick glance at each of the seven parts of the model of a church, but it will be more meaningful to take a deeper look at certain aspects of the model. What I wanted to make clear is that I don’t think there needs to be some radical change or brand new way of doing church. What I do think is that there needs to be a return to what the church has historically been about. There will be new ways to incorporate technology and new worship styles and new models of small groups, but I do think that fundamentally some things need to be in place.


For the next several posts I will dig into a few parts of this model that need more comments and I will look at what the potential fruit of this model well be.

No comments:

Post a Comment