Monday, March 9, 2015

Daily Bible Challenge: Post #1

1 Corinthians 15:58: “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always giver yourself fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

I was nominated by my mother-in-law, Sue Anderson, to take part in the daily Bible challenge, and a good rule is to always listen to your mother-in-law, right? But I am happy that she did, as I will post a new Bible verse every day for a week and post a brief explanation of why I chose that particular verse and what it means to me.

I start with 1 Corinthians 15:58 because it is my life verse. It is not necessarily my favorite verse, but the verse I go to first when I think of my mission in serving the Lord. Why this verse is so powerful is the context of the chapter in which it is written. 1 Cor 15 is a chapter devoted to the Resurrection, the critical event/fact of Christ’s life and therefore our faith. With the Resurrection Christ conquered death and gave all of us life!

As 15:55-57 states:
“Where, death, is your victory? Where, death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Indeed He does.


But what I like most about 15:58 is that with this knowledge and reality of the Resurrection, it lays out very clearly how we are to respond. We can stand strong in the Lord and know that all we do for him is not in vain, because of the reality of the Resurrection!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this verse, Steve! I've read it at more gravesides than I can count and it always serves to buoy me up. Gracias...
    Will

    ReplyDelete