Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Some thoughts from a mission trip

This past week I was part of a mission trip from Central Baptist Church to Grand Portage along the north shore of Lake Superior.

Grand Portage is an Indian Reservation near the border of Canada comprised of a tribe of the Anishinaabe/Chippewa/Ojibwe. It is a beautiful area on the lake and an area that is actually doing OK economically. This reservation is one of the few that has more jobs than can be filled by members of the tribe.


There is much I could say about the tribe and about the church that we served and the work that we did, but I want to reflect on some of the things that I learned on the trip.

One of the highlights was a conversation that we had with an elder from the tribe called John. He was in his 50s and a man of great wisdom. Our group spent about two and a half hours in conversation with him. He shared his personal story, while also weaving in the bigger story of the tribe and the country as a whole (basically the policies our government pursued and the impact it had on the Anishinaabe people).

I will start by saying that I have read quite a bit about the history of our country and what was done to the Native peoples. A good resource would be this book:

That is to say, the stories that he shared and his interpretation of what happened did not come as a surprise to me, I had heard of the wars and massacres, the systematic destruction of a people and their culture, the splitting up of families, the placing of children in boarding schools, the poor land and governance of the reservations, and many other atrocities that are too numerous to mention in this space. What really struck me while listening to John was that it was pretty much the first time that I could put a face to these atrocities. It was his people, his friends, his families, that were directly impacted by our government policies. I can sense his pain and anger, both of which are quite understandable.

Despite this, he was still a gracious man. He is not a Christian, but he was certainly willing to meet with our group and give us the benefit of the doubt, which is quite remarkable considering the role that the church had in the damaging of the tribe and of the Anishinaabe people overall. The historic church was an active and willing participant in the atrocities that originated from the government. And while John is not a member of the church on the reservation, he is supportive of what they are doing, but he is understandably skeptical of a new group that visits. He was understandably curious as to what our intentions are and what we helped to do on our mission trip and subsequent trips.

For my part, I wanted to learn from him and others like him in the tribe, and to see overall  what our church can do to support the people of the tribe. I do hope that he saw that both in our conversation and in the actions and work that we engaged in. We did not come in trying to talk to everyone and spread our faith in an obnoxious way. Instead, we came leading with our ears, and doing work that supported the church and some members of the community, while also spending good quality time with people (especially children) of the church. I feel it was productive in that sense, and there will definitely be a place for us there in the future.

Another thought that I had from the conversation with John was the idea of privilege. This is clearly a controversial issue and it is admittedly something that I have not spent a whole lot of time considering, but the idea of privilege became real in one sense. The privilege that I have, when compared to someone like John, is that I don’t live in the reality of what the government did to me and my family on a daily basis. For the most part I have been left alone. This is a privilege that I take for granted. I surely have some negative events that have happened in the past that impact me today, but it pales in comparison to what the Anishinaabe people have gone through. It is easy to say that some of their problems are self-inflicted (alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, etc) and that is true, but there is some context to the source of these problems and there is a lesson in the impact of generational sin, both from within and without.

Being a part of the mission seems to be an opportunity. I am happy that our church is willing to support this church and ministry, and I look forward to return trips where we can continue to develop relationships and perhaps do our part to help heal the wounds that have lasted for generations. There is certainly hope in the new generation, as the most active part of the church is the youth, and they have hopes for the future like that of anyone else. I look forward to our church being a part of that.

Two last interesting points that I learned on the trip:

1. I found out that Abraham Lincoln is not that highly regarded by the Anishinaabe. In fact, he might be considered the worst administration for Indians in our country’s history. In the midst of the Civil War he was brutal towards the tribes on the frontier and he ordered the largest mass execution in the history of the country. Some things are not easily forgotten.

2. The second thing, and perhaps more encouraging, is that the opinion of the US (and state) Government has seen some slight improvement of the last several years. The government has indeed done a better job of honoring treaties and reversing some of the egregious problems. There is still much work to be done but this is a start. Let’s hope this continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment